Wednesday, January 28, 2009

The Neighbor

So i wrote in my previous blog "The Time" about waking up early, and i quote, "...it wouldn't have made that much of a difference in the grand scheme of things, or would it. What if me being awake right now made a difference in the outcome for my day, and someone else's day? What if a simple change in my routine set in motion a series of events that would change my life or someone else's"

When i wrote that it was just an idea, an idea that was just a fleeting thought one morning when i was up early. To be perfectly honest i thought it was something that you would have to look for. I even thought that one day in the future it would maybe happen to someone i knew. I just didn't think it would be me.

So i say.

It is amazing how one thing, like the time you wake up. Can set forth a series of events that may change your life or someone else's

For me, Yesterday was that day.

If my fiance Carli wasn't having stomach problems, she wouldn't have called me at 7:20 am. If she didn't wake me up, i wouldn't of asked if she needed me to come see her. If she wouldn't have said yes, I wouldn't have gone out to warm up my car.

If i didn't go out to start my car at 8:45 am, i wouldn't have realized it was dead till 3:30 when i would have gone out to start my car for work.

Right now you may be thinking, Wow Alan that did set forth events that changed your day. If you didn't find out your car wasn't starting you would have been late for work, or even maybe had to call off.

Well that would be really lame if that was the only thing that was changed about my day, but sometimes things just don't work out that easy. Sometimes for the better.

Since i found out it wasn't starting, I had to ask my neighbor Joe for a jump start. If the jump would have held the first time this story would have been over, or maybe never started.

Well, i had to ask him for a jump again and if i didn't ask him again for a jump (I actually almost asked my other neighbor up the street, because i didn't want to bother Joe)

So, if i wouldn't have asked him again he wouldn't have helped me out by letting me use

1. His battery Charger
2. Gas from a gas can (since the SUV was on empty)
3. His truck to go get more gas.

If all that didn't happen, he wouldn't have given me $200 in cash for me to get a new battery. I wouldn't have found out about his heart condition and about two of his friends passing away recently.

The chances we have to witness to people sometimes come and go in a blink of an eye. I was caught off guard by him telling me about his heart condition, and i missed my chance to ask him if he knew Jesus, or anything that i should have said.

This man helped me all day, and got nothing in return but a thank you. This is the way i want to help others around me. I hope i get opportunities to help someone like Joe helped me. I also hope i get to talk to him again. Soon.

Oh, and all this wouldn't have happened if Carli didn't call me.

2 comments:

  1. I have tears...
    God answered your question to Him - by changing your day - and your neighbors day - and in some ways - your life...
    was talking about a neighbors love earlier...with a fellow pro life worker...

    I believe there is hope.

    thank you for posting

    ReplyDelete
  2. good thing i called :) thank you for being you. i love the way your mind works and how inspiring you are to me.

    ReplyDelete