Wednesday, February 18, 2009

The Leader

Lead
Verb, Led, Lead-ing, noun, adjective

1. To go before of with to show the way.
2. To guide in direction, course, action, option.

Leader
-Noun

1. A person or thing that leads
2. A guiding or directing head.


Leadership
-Noun

1. The position of function of a leader.
2. Ability to lead.

So i was thinking, What does it take to lead? What makes a leader? What is Leadership?

They simple answer would be the definitions i found in the dictionary, but i think its more complicated then that. At the same time its as simple as that if you look at it. A leader is someone who leads. To lead is to show the way. Leadership is the position of the leader.

That is pretty simple, BUT who is qualified to be a leader? Anyone? If you are a bad leader, are you still considered a leader? Many times people think since they bark out orders and tell people what to do they are a Leader. WRONG. A leader takes responsibility for the actions and mistakes that he brings the group to. He also takes credit for the positive thing that comes from the journey. Leaders have to use integrity and dignity to light their path, they should realize that the maturity they posses needs to be used to help someone or many.

I would consider myself a leader, looking back at my life so far i can see many times i was in a leading position. Many times i was picked to be a captain of a dodge-ball team, or a kickball team because i was big. People want leaders to be the strong one that can get them through the situations that arise. Later in life (much later) i was voted captain of my high school football team. It wasn't just a title for me, it meant more to me then just being a status. It came with responsibility and a lot of pressure. They way you act and react is always being watched, and one slip of will bring your whole leader status into question.

It is good to be a leader, it is good to want to help people. But do you except the responsibility that it comes with. Can you go ahead of the group into uncharted territory and find the way? Can you guide and take the time to find the right path, and then stay on it?

Do you have the ability to lead? Maybe? Maybe Not? Not everyone can be a leader, and thats ok.

2 comments:

  1. wow these are good thoughts Alan...thought provoking thoughts for my life situation today and what God has planned (don't we all wish we knew 100%) in the future

    some of the biggest struggles I have with bein' in a position of leadership?

    the servant part - scrubbin toilets at the office when you should be scrubbin toilets in your house...when no ones lookin but Jesus and you KNOW no one's gona notice either...

    meetin with a mom and wipin her little ones snotty nose...with love...without gaggin'

    listening to the same complaints and heartaches that people bring over and over and choosing longsuffering

    knowing that I am not the best...I am just the one everyone looks to (and that's a little bit BIG)

    I struggle with wanting (or should I say NOT wanting) others to succeed and lead and grow and thrive - IDK why - some fear in me that they'll surpass me or something - and I won't be as special to God...that is a shameful admission of guilt on my part - but inside I FIGHT against that alot...

    I think sometimes we need to exchange the word servant for the word leader and that would best describe the position...when it's done to Gods Glory...

    ReplyDelete
  2. you never fail to really make me think. glad i get to keep you for the rest of my life!

    ReplyDelete